Saturday, July 11, 2009

07-11-09 Yachats Coastline

Our night in Yachats (pronounced ya-HOTS) enabled us to wake up and take a morning walk along the beach. This is a view towards the Yachats river, as it enter the ocean. It was quite cool and foggy, as you can see! This beach is not like any beach I have spent time on! Having a beach with sand, lava, fog, driftwood, a sea cave, AND tide pools was a treat! The tide was out, so there was a huge expanse of sand exposed that is normally under water. Very few shells! There is a rocky outcropping of old lava that has now become home to many tide pool animals and plants. There were hundreds of thousands of mussels and bright green sea anemones. There were also sea stars, crabs, and fish in the pools. I am glad I had my sturdier trail running shoes to wear on those sharp rocks! They helped me scramble over the rocks without slipping, and protected my feet from the jagged edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment